Friday, June 09, 2006

What a week!

Perry was gone this week to Louisiana. I dread him leaving, not just because I'll miss him and I hate to do the single mom thing, but almost every time that he leaves, something MAJOR breaks. I've had the car fan die, my apartment start to flood in a hurricane, and the main breaker to our house go in the middle of summer. This week, I had the fan on our 3 month old fridge die. Luckily, they were able to come and repair it the next day, and I had our old fridge in the garage, so losses were minimal. I let the new fridge cool to the right temperature all day, then moved the food over. About 5 minutes after I finished moving all of the food over, the power went out. Go and check the houses around me, no power. Call a friend of mine down the street. Her husband said that he heard an explosion right before the power went out. Great. Took the kids to the park for an hour. Saw the electric guys checking all the boxes. Come home and still no power. I decide to make a little run to the Publix down the street just in case this isn't a temporary thing. Grab some dry ice and M&Ms (a must have in every emergency) and come home to find the lights on in the house. The neighbour next door said that the lights had been on for about 5 minutes, so if I had waited another 15 minutes, I wouldn't have had to make the trip. But I also wouldn't have my M&Ms either. Silver lining. So the next day I decide to take the kids to McDonald's. Turning right out of the subdivision, I hit the curb. Hard. Great. Say a little prayer and keep driving. No noise, no pulling. Just before I get to the first place that I could pull off the road, the noise and pulling start. I quickly moved over into the right turn lane of a little subdivision. The tire is decimated. There is a hole the size of the tire jack handle in the sidewall (as I found out later). I open the back of the van and call Perry. I can't decide if I want to cry or laugh, so I do both. Caleb had done this very same thing (back right instead of front right tire on the same curb) with Perry a few months ago, so he was talking me through how to get the jack out. I was such a mess. Just after I got the jack out and was about to figure out how to get the spare down, a man pulled over and helped me out. He showed me the hole. It really was the hand of God getting me there. I went back and looked at the other 4 places I could've pulled over at along the way- 2 were parking lots of churches (not very populated on a Thursday), and the other 2 were side streets into small subdivisions. I probably would still be trying to figure out how to get the darn tire on if I hadn't gotten to where I ended up. An hour at the tire store and we were on our way. I know Perry's at home for at least the next 2 weeks, so I think I'll go into hibernation as soon as he walks in the door.

No comments: